I recently mentioned wearing a Clearwater Beach SPF Shirt when Paddleboarding to a small island near Clearwater Beach. This shirt was worn when paddleboarding to help keep my skin safe from the sun, allow me to move around easily, and dry quickly.
SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor. This term is often used when talking about sunscreen, clothing, and other sun protection gear. When looking at the clothing you may see SPF or UPF, Ultraviolet Protection Factor. Both SPF and UPF clothing will protect you from the sun’s ultraviolet rays, but there is a slight difference in what the label means. SPF means the clothing was measured for the UVB rays. UPF clothing was measured for both UVA and UVB rays.
Here’s a quick summary of what that really means…
Ultraviolet A (UVA) and Ultraviolet B (UVB) are both found in sunlight. UVA is a longer wavelength ultraviolet light that causes skin aging. UVB is a shorter wavelength of ultraviolet light and it is what causes sunburns. While SPF clothing may provide some protection from both UVA and UVB, they have only been checked for UVB – to help protect from sunburns. Clothing with the UPF label has been checked to provide protection for both UVA and UVB.
You may see labels that say things such as SPF 15. This is saying the product with the SPF 15 label will protect you from a sunburn 15 times longer than you would be without the product. SPF 30 means 30 times longer and so on.
If you’re in the Clearwater Beach area and need some more than sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun, check out these shops to buy your own Clearwater Beach SPF shirt.
Where to Buy a Clearwater Beach SPF Shirt
- Maui Nix Surf Shop: Pelican Walk Center, 483 Mandalay Ave #101, Clearwater Beach, FL 33767
- Frenchy’s Off The Hook: 49 Baymont St, Clearwater Beach, FL 33767
- Hogan’s Beach Shop: 483 Mandalay Ave #108, Clearwater Beach, FL 33767
- Palm Pavilion Gift Shop: 18 Bay Esplanade, Clearwater Beach, FL 33767
- Freaky Tiki Surf Shack: 458 Mandalay Ave, Clearwater Beach, FL 33767
- Surf Style (North Beach): 442 Mandalay Ave, Clearwater Beach, FL 33767
- Ron Jon Surf Shop: 377 Mandalay Ave, Clearwater Beach, FL 33767
- Wings Beachwear: 400 Poinsettia Ave, Clearwater Beach, FL 33767
- The Bait House Tackle & Tavern: 45 Causeway Blvd, Clearwater Beach, FL 33767
- Surf Style (South Beach): 311 S Gulfview Blvd, Clearwater, FL 33767
- Surfing USA: 325 S Gulfview Blvd, Clearwater Beach, FL 33767
- Aloha On the Beach: 642 S Gulfview Blvd #2508, Clearwater Beach, FL 33767